Identifying the Scale
Prior to configuring the scale, it is important to determine which Mettler Toledo Scale you are using. The Viva and Ariva scales require different serial adaptors and have different firmware settings.
To determine the model of the scale, look for the label on the scale with the model information. The label is either on the side or underneath the metal top.
The following equipment is also required:
- Lantronix xDirect Serial to Ethernet Device Server
- A DB9 M/M gender changer serial adapter (only for the Viva scale)
Configuring the Mettler Toledo Viva Scale
There are five steps to configuring the scale for use with the NCR Silver Pro Restaurant app: confirming the scale firmware settings, setting up the hardware, locating the Lantronix xDirect device IP address, configuring the Lantronix xDirect device, and configuring the settings within the NCR Silver Pro Restaurant app.
Important things to keep in mind:
- When using a web browser to access the Lantronix xDirect device, the recommended browser is Google Chrome. Do not use Safari or Internet Explorer as they are not compatible.
- If you are configuring multiple scales for use in your restaurant, only configure one scale at a time as this will make it easier to locate the IP address for the Lantronix xDirect device.
- Prior to beginning, you will also need the username and password required to log into your network router.
- Confirming the scale firmware settings.
In some cases, it is necessary to update the firmware settings.
- While turning on the power, press and hold key until ‘grP 1’ is displayed.
Use to confirm the choice and move to the next step.Use to accept the soft switch settings.
- For each group, confirm the following. If your scale settings do not match, then change as indicated:
|2.4||Digital Filter||1 (Low)|
|3.1||Baud Rate||3 (9600)|
|3.3||Data||0 (7data bit)|
|3.4||Bit Stop||1 (1 stop bit)|
|3.5||Choose Protocol||6 (8217 Mettler Toledo)|
- After the last setting, press once.
- '3.5 d n' appears on the screen. Press once.
- '3.5 d Y' appears on the screen. Press once.
- 'Save' appears on the screen. Press once. The scale will reboot.
- Setup the hardware.
- Connect the DB9 M/M gender changer serial adapter to the Lantronix xDirect device.
- Connect the DB9 M/M gender changer serial adapter with the Lantronix xDirect device to the serial port of the Mettler Toledo scale.
- Connect the network cable to the Lantronix xDirect device.
- Plug the power cable of the Lantronix xDirect device into a power outlet.
- Plug the power cable of the Mettler Toledo scale into a power outlet.
- Locate the IP address of the Lantronix xDirect device.
- Log into your network router.
- Locate a list of connected devices and find the Lantronix xDirect device. The Lantronix xDirect device should be the most recent device connected. Note the IP address as you will need it to reserve the IP address and to configure the Lantronix xDirect device.
- Reserve the IP address on the router for the Lantronix xDirect device.
- Configure the Lantronix device.
- Open a web browser and type in the IP address of the Lantronix xDirect device, as found in the previous step. The browser prompts you for a username and password.
- Username: admin
- Password: PASS
- Click Serial Settings on the left side of the screen.
- Under ‘Port Settings,’ change Data Bits to ‘7.’
- Change Parity to ‘Even.’
- Click OK at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Apply Settings on the left side of the screen.
- Verify the port of the Lantronix device.
- Click Connection on the left side of the screen.
- Under ‘Endpoint Configuration,’ confirm the Local Port is ‘10001.’ If the port number is different, write this number down as you will need it later.
- Configure the NCR Silver Pro Restaurant app for the scale.
- Use your PIN to log into the app.
- At the POS home screen, tap to access the Settings menu. A slide out menu appears.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Configure scales. (Note: If you do not have any items configured for ‘Use scale,’ you will not see the Configure scales option.
- Swipe the Enable scale integration button to the right to turn on the option.
- Tap Add Network Scale.
- Type the IP Address for the Lantronix xDirect device.
- Type the port number. In most cases, the port number is ‘10001.’
- Scale units defaults to ounces. If your scale measures in units other than ounces, tap to change the scale units.
- Tap Scale Configuration.
- Tap Touch here to connect. When the POS app completes the connection to the scale, ‘Connected’ appears to the right of the scale.
- Tap Close to exit scale configuration.
- Tap Close to exit the Settings page.